The minor league season for the Giants affiliates came to an end on Sunday, as Sacramento finished the Triple-A regular season with a loss. Casey Schmitt and David Villar homered, and Wade Meckler continued his great season of getting on base.
AAA: Salt Lake 6, Sacramento 5
Top Sacramento Performances:
- Third baseman David Villar finished off his season by going 3-for-4 with a home run and a walk. That gives him 17 home runs in 75 Triple-A games, along with five home runs in 46 Major League games. He finishes his minor league season with a .272/.371/.498 batting line.
- Shortstop Casey Schmitt went 1-for-4 with a home run and a walk of his own. Schmitt finishes the year with just a total of seven home runs, with four in 47 games at Sacramento, and three in 88 games in the Majors. But he finishes with a .300/.346/.435 batting line.
- Center fielder Bryce Johnson went 2-for-4 with a walk, with a double and a triple. After 66 games in Triple-A, he has 13 doubles, four triples, and eight home runs, with 34 walks to 70 strikeouts. He hit .280/.373/.455 on the season with Sacramento.
- Left fielder Wade Meckler went 3-for-4 with all singles, a walk, and a stolen base. That ups his Triple-A batting line to .354/.465/.500, with 18 walks to 20 strikeouts, and seven steals on seven attempts at the level. His overall minor league batting line is .371/.456/.510, and the .371 batting average might give him the minor league batting title depending on how you calculate the required minimums.
- The best pitcher of the day for Sacramento was Matt Frisbee in relief, the only who didn’t allow a run. He went 2.1 innings, allowing only one hit, while striking out three. Frisbee finishes his Triple-A campaign with a 7.88 ERA after just five games at the level. Including Double-A, he had a 5.10 ERA with 19 walks to 37 strikeouts in 47.2 innings.
Other Notable Lines:
- DH Jakson Reetz: 1-5, 1 RBI, 3 K
- SP Joe Ross: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 K
- RP Sean Hjelle: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
AA: Season Over
High-A: Season Over
Low-A: Season Over
With that, we’re done for the season for the minor leagues.
Thank you to everyone who read daily, or who checked in now and then, or who just peeked at these reports occasionally! You made doing this worthwhile!
I plan to continue these next year, though I have some ideas to abbreviate things a bit more. As always, I am open to your feedback about what you liked or didn’t like, and if you’d like to see something more, let me know.
I also will have different types of Giants minor league content next season, and I’ll be asking if I can share at least some of it on here within the subreddit rules.
The AFL is coming up! I don’t plan to do daily reports there, since the number of Giants playing daily will be limited…but it includes some interesting returns! The Giants going are…
RHP Will Bednar (The former 1st round pick’s first appearance in 2023)
LHP Jack Choate
RHP Marques Johnson
LHP Hayden Wynja
1B Reggie Crawford (Yes, he will only be a hitter…for some reason)
C Zach Morgan
IF Carter Howell (He’s listed as an infielder, despite playing exclusively outfielder, much of it center, in the regular season)
So…thanks again for the season, and despite everything…I’m really looking forward to 2024!