Richmond’s playoff experience in 2023 came to a sudden end, although at least the offense showed up in one final game. Meanwhile, Armando Alvarez provided all the offense for a River Cats win over Salt Lake with a grand slam.
AAA: Sacramento 4, Salt Lake 3
Top Sacramento Performances:
- First baseman Armando Alvarez went 1-for-3 with a grand slam and two walks. That’s his 18th home run of the season with the River Cats, in 72 games. He’s hitting .312/.381/.589 on the season, with 30 walks to 47 strikeouts.
- Wade Meckler went 2-for-4 with a walk and a stolen base on the day. It’s Meckler’s first multi-hit game in his last four, which has been a long stretch for him in the minors. He’s still hitting only .319/.389/.447 since returning to Sacramento 11 games ago, which has actually lowered his Triple-A numbers to .347/.448/.500.
- DH Yoshi Tsutsugo was only 0-for-1, but drew four walks. In just two games at Triple-A, he’s 1-for-5 with five walks and two strikeouts. He had 10 walks to 17 strikeouts in 13 games at Richmond before joining Sac, and 36 walks to 59 strikeouts in 51 games at Round Rock.
- Starting pitcher Mason Black went 5.0 innings, allowing just one run while giving up four hits and one walk, striking out four. Black has a 3.86 ERA through 13 games at Triple-A, with 72 strikeouts to 31 walks in 60.2 innings.
Other Notable Lines:
- SS Casey Schmitt: 1-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 3 K
- RF Brett Wisely: 1-4
- C Jakson Reetz: 1-4, 1 CS (2)
- RP Juan Sanchez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- RP Parker Dunshee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
AA: Erie 7, Richmond 3 (Erie wins Divisional Series 2-0)
Top Richmond Performances:
- Catcher Andy Thomas was the only Squirrel with multiple hits, going 2-for-3 with a double and a walk. Thomas finished the regular season with a .226/.325/.360 over 110 games, with 16 doubles, a triple, and 11 home runs.
- Second baseman Jimmy Glowenke had a double on a 1-for-4 day, but struck out his other three times up. In 75 games after his promotion, Glowenke had a batting line of .251/.355/.389 with 13 doubles and seven home runs. Overall, including time in High-A, had 23 doubles and ten home runs.
- Left fielder Ismael Munguia was 1-for-3 with a single and a HBP, and two strikeouts. Munguia hit .282/.356/.391 in 75 games at Double-A this season, with 24 walks to 45 strikeouts.
- Closer Tyler Myrick went 1.2 scoreless innings, the only Richmond pitcher to not allow a run. Myrick allowed one walk and struck out two. Myrick had a 1.44 ERA in 20 games at Richmond, and a 1.04 in 26 games at Eugene before that.
- With this loss, Richmond’s season is over.
Other Notable Lines:
- SS Will Wilson: 1-4, 2 RBI, 1 K
- RF Victor Bericoto: 1-4, 1 K
- SP Hayden Birdsong: 3.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 2 HR
- RP Wil Jensen: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HR